Sunday 25 March 2012

Homemade Ricotta



Mum passed down this recipe and I have been making it for years. Ricotta isn't expensive to buy but I like making my own as I know exactly what is in it. 

Ingredients:

2 Ltrs Full cream milk (I use Skim)
250ml Cream (I use extra light cream)
4 Tbs fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tbs White Vinegar

What to do:

In a heavy based saucepan slowly heat the milk and the cream. Stir occasionally so that it doesn't stick to the bottom. When the milk and cream, begins to boil and the lemon juice and the vinegar. It will separate into curds and whey. Keep stirring until all the curds form. Pour into a clean chux cloth or tea towel over a sieve and bowl. Let it drain for approximately 5 minutes or so. Don't let it drain too long or it will be too dry. Cool in the fridge. If you are not going to use it straight away pop it into the cooled whey so that it stays moist.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts