Wednesday 20 July 2011

Homemade Ricotta

Not sure where I got this recipe but I have been making it for years. Ricotta isn't expensive to buy but I like making my own as I know what is in it.

Ingredients..

2ltrs Full cream Milk
250ml Cream
4tbs lemon juice
1 tbs vinegar

What to do..

In a heavy based saucepan slowly heat the milk and the cream. Stir occasionally while heating so it doesn't stick to the bottom. When the milk/cream begins to boil add the lemon juice and vinegar. It will separate into curds and whey. Keep stirring until all the curds form. Pour into a clean chux or teatowel over a sieve and bowl. Let it drain for 5 mins or so but don't let it drain completely as it will be too dry. Cool in the fridge.

I substitute using skim milk and extra light cream and it is still delicious. You can infuse with flavour if you like, herbs, garlic whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts